Thursday, July 21, 2011

My First Anime Convention - SMASH!

 Alright, my first anime convention.

It was so much fun and I also made new friends along the way too.

The anime convention I went to was called SMASH (Sydney Manga and Anime show). I've sorta dodged them because A. they're expensive & B. too far away to go to. But some friends recommended it so thus I went.
It was gloomy but it brightened up during noon.

It was held along Darling habour.
Tickets were $25 if booked early and online otherwise $30 at the door.

The pass to say that I've paid. A very memoriable keepsake.

Anyways, many of us (me and friends) were fairly or very sleep deprived. This was because there were costumes being finalised in the last minute and due to the fact that some of us were holding a artist table or stall at the convention (I wasn't part), last minute organaizing was done too!

I had a costume already laid out and ready to go but I volenteered to stay up with them and to help them out. We all had to get up really early (like around 5.30 am) since we had to catch a train and then my friends had to go and set up. Most of us got to bed around 3.30am or later.

Oh, forgot to mention that I had left the wig for my cosplay in my luggage at a friends place. Bubble's place to be frank. The initial plan was to finish off the costumes at another friends place and then I would head back Bubble's (a friend I tagged along with) place with her to stay the night but we ended up staying at that friend place. Bubble's mom was kind enough to drop by with our luggage so we could grab what we would need for the night and for the day of the convention.
I just grabbed my cosplay costume, toothbrush, cleanser, makeup and some other small essentials. I could've taken my whole luggage but I didn't want to lug around with it to the conventions, hence it being dropped off at Bubble's place. I also forgot the wig because I was rushing to grab what I needed from my luggage.

Moving on, we get up and go! Exhausted, we managed to pull through the day. I sorta felt dizzy throughout the day since I had very little to eat throughtout the morning (when helping friends with their costumes), was somewhat sleep deprived and the fact that we caught a old rackety and bumpy train ride to Darling Harbour.

Kurimja, (who was holding a table) offered for us to leave our stuff at her table. She's sooooo nice. She even offered me her breakfast when she could tell that I wasn't feeling to good. Of course I had to buy her back her breakfast later, which was in the form of a late lunch.

Kurimja is very talented. How I envy her but I've also seen so many other talented people at this convention, so much so that its somehow inspiring me to try out C.G a bit more.

*Bubble and Kurimja are user names that some of my friends go by.


So talented. The second one, she's also a mangaka and had her own stall.

The convention was very spacious and there were other events taking place on the other floors of the convention. I sorta stuck on the level Kurimja was on since I wasn't feeling too well. I just sat around her table and went for walks around the area.




There was also a Gundam model exhibition. I read on the program guide that there were free gundam making classes and kits on another level of the convention.

There were sooooo many cosplayers there. Vocaloid, Hetalia Axis powers and Kuroshitsuji along with Naruto and bleach were popular.

Cosplayers cosplaying 'Karakuri Burst' (Vocaloid) (left) and my friend Bubble on the left.
Some of us were very excited having come across these cosplayers. They've become Bubble's friends on Facebook.

Bubble & Kurimja. They're cosplaying 'Canterella' from Vocaloid.

Some of my friends decided to cosplay 'Canterella'. I stayed up helping to fix up Bubble's jacket. I also helped a bit with the other friend (the one I spent the night over at) with her costume which was Miku's dress in 'Canterella'. It looked very pretty. I'm starting to envy my friends and the cosplaying abilities since most of their costumes are made from scratch. But its also encouraging.

Anyways, I also bought some stuff at the convention.

Pandora hearts. It looks soooo official.

Prints are fairly expensive to buy but I couldn't resist buying this one on Yugioh. Soooooo adorable.
Yugioh is what got me into anime and drawing manga in the first place.

FMA, Durarara & OHHC stcikers.

 Prints were a main type being sold. Mostly in the forms of posters up to A3 and some in the form of bookmarks and postcards. There were some in the form of stickers too. What's being sold at these tables are printed fanarts which are done very well.

Vocaloid & KHR keyrings (?).

While browsing around, I came across a few stores that sold keyrings and phone charms as a merchandise. These one's I bought for around $13 altogether but they were too cute to resist. Hibari is my fav and he also sold out quickly.
Vocaloid, Durarara & KHR.

Pandora Hearts 

Vocaloid and Mahou Shoujo Madoka. 

Badges weren't of interest to me for a long time but now I've really takken a liking to them (anime and manga realted ones). They're soooo cute. I could easily make them if I wanted too but I'm a bit lazy. These ones I bought go really well with this bag I bought from Kmart for like $9. Now I'm gonna be hunting for bags of this style, that way I can buy and stick more badges on.

Ahhhhhh..... soooo much typing. Your probably still wondering as to what I cosplayed as.
Here is your answer.

I cosplayed as Basil from KHR and it took me a week to make the props. All hand made except for the shoes, which I painted.
Man, I just had to forget the wig!!! But I still dressed up...as basil with black hair....but people still took pictures of meeeeeeeee.... yay! I was soooooo happy when they asked me for a picture.

These are my props:




I didn't take many pictures myself....feeling exhausted and all..... but next time I'm definately going and I'll be posing more than just saying 'Cheese' infront of the camera. I'm still thinking if I should cosplay again??? hmmm...

But I know that I'll be cosplaying again when I attend the Multi-cultural festival at my college and I'll be going as Basil again AND with the wig.

Anyways...... thanks for reading. : D

No comments:

Post a Comment