Monday, June 20, 2011

Making Macarons in Winter

These little delecasies do require alot of attention and care when making them.
Winter here in Canberra is freezing. In my previous post based on finally achieving feet, I had made those in the evening and with the heaters on in the hosuse (set to 20 degrees).

Today, I attempted making them again and using the same methods. Though this time they had taken very long (nearly 2 hrs) to dry and they came out with no feet. Still tasted good and had a good preserved colour.

The reason behind that result is because of the room and air temperature being fairly cold or chilly when you leave the macarons to dry after piping the macarom mixture. This how many of my previous attempts failed.
Today was cold too so the temperature was around the 'teens (11 or 12) . I don't have the heaters on during the day, only in the evenings.

So therefore, as a tip for those (beginners ) making macarons in winter, be sure to have the room temperature set warmer than the temperature 'outside' the house. 17 or 18 degrees to 20 degrees or is best. You might get away with it if you were to use the Italian meringue method but this method applies to the French meringue method.

I've still got some ways to go but hopefully along the way, I can pick up on other macaron ruining problems and will report if I do come across them.

I hope this helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment