Monday, March 21, 2011

Vocaloid!

I've heard of it and I've seen the characters around but I haven't really taken an interest in until today when I happened to spot this pic on a friends' photo album (online)!


He looks Hot! (his name is Kaito)
you can find it here too: http://www.zerochan.net/213144

So what is Vocaloid?

I knew it was a popular music making program from Japan and I even spotted it in Akihabara when I went to Japan. I thought that the characters were to promote the program but it seems that Vocaloid is more than that!

It rings true that Vocaloid is a music making program but it features the 'voices' of the characters and the main idea of the program is to insert, import...etc (imput methods) lyrics and a melody into the Vocaloid program and then a/the song is played along with the character singing. Pretty cool!

Though the program is kinda pricy. When I spotted the program on the shelf, there were a few volumes on the shelf and I assumed that the other volumes were extentions on the program. But actually, they're the same program but with a different character 'voice'.


(http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabekujikaneda/3534858281/ product link under image)

 The characters?

I believe real music artists in the real world contribute their voices for the characters' voices hence the 3rd example above with the link underneath it that features Megumi Nakajima's voice.

I have also noticed that there seem to be large number of characters to this Vocaloid. But infact, most of those characters are fanmade Vocaloids.

You can find most of them here on vocaloid wiki:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabekujikaneda/3534858281/

The original ones are:
  • Meiko
  • Kaito (pic above)
  • Miku Hatsune (she is one of the most popular recognisable characters hence her green hair tied on both sides)
  • The twins names Rin Kagamine and Len Kagamine
  • Luka Megurine

The program is rather popular world wide, being released in Chinese and English.
The English version features characters named:
  • Sonika
  • Big Al
  • Miriam


 English version of Vocaloid with Big AL



Plus I've sorta notice that the versions are either being upgraded or that there are new ones being released.

And here is an example of the program layout:



Well that was some Vocaloid adventure and I now understand what Vocaloid is. I even might look further into it but.....yeah.... you get the gist of it in this blog..... otherwise just google! 

To people who are also new to Vocaloid are want to get to know it a bit better, I hope this was beneficial info as it was to me. :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment