Friday, March 25, 2011

The Hunt For Macarons is ON!!!! - Canberra

^_^ YAY! A Macaron Entry! ^_^

I don't live in a big city! So pretty much finding macarons is a challenge but I've finally tracked down some place thanks to these follwing websites:

Snowdrop Meringues and berries:
http://snowdropm-berries.blogspot.com/2010/04/flute-bakery-revisited.html (so cute)

Bake and Bloom:
http://bakeandbloom.com/2010/09/could-these-be-australias-worst-macarons/

The Loactions of the Macarons sold are @:

The Flute: 8 Barrier St, Fyshwick - (02) 6280 8001.

Bean in the City 28/36 Ainslie Ave, Civic - (02) 6162 0866. (Where the fountain is.)

Croissant D'Or : 33 East Row, Canberra City (Civic) - (02) 6247 0853. (Bus interchange)

Tomorrow I'll be taking a look at the EPIC Markets, which do also sell macarons and are apparently the ones that supply the Macarons to "Bean in the city". Can't wait!

Now to jump onto my opinion* of the Macarons of these places!

* you can agree or disagree but try for your self. :)

First, I"ll start with the Macarons at "The Flute"!

This little patisserie is only open on weekdays from 8am to 3pm (which is hard to fit on my everyday schedule). The patisserie is sorta small as well but seems to be popular, especially during lunch times. The others sweets sold there I have yet to try but the Macarons.... these Macarons were really really good!
Crispy and melty and the cream filling is soft and mouth watering.
At $2 a piece, they were at a good value but the sizes varied a it, with the pistachio one to be smallest. I'd really suggest them!






The ones here are Pistachio, Cassis (Black currant) and Orange! Oh so mouth watering!
(Don't mind my photography skills! The lighting was bad too since that day was kinda gloomy).

Next are the Macarons from "Bean in the City".

Very small place but Cheap coffee and at a regular size too! :) Friendly staff too!
The Macarons are very nice there but I wonder if they always stock them? Anyways, the Macarons there are soft and are very mouth watering in a melty-licious way when you take the first bite. mmmmm. I really recommend the passion fruit flavour. They sell for $3 a piece though but its really its worth the try! You could say that an extra dollar goes to the good and friendly staff and coffee.






These ones are Passion Fruit and Cassis (Black currant). Sweet and Yummy! : P
(Again, please ignor the bad photography. That day was even gloomier too! plus there was a slight accident with bringing the Macarons home.)

Finally, the "Croissant D'or" Macarons.

The place is a very cute and sorta old fashioned patisserie with so many cute and good looking sweets.
Though, the Macarons couldn't really compete with the two above. I also kinda agree with the post on Bake and Bloom as the customer service was unfriendly. As for the Macarons, I found some of them crispsy but not soft nor melty. They looked and tasted good but a bit hard. Especially the Rasberry one, which its filling was hard. Plus you may notice in the pics below that the pistachio one is sorta lop-sided. I tried to reshape it but it wouldn't budge since the filling was a bit hard. The macarons sold for approx. $2.20 each. I think I'll be dodging the Macarons at that place for a while. (but it wouldn't hurt to try the other sweets)







The flavours here are Pistachio, Rasberry, Hazelnut (which was very nice), Vanilla and Chocolate (?) (the yellow one).
(these pics were taken the same day as those from "Bean in the City")

I'd suggest "The Flute" or "Bean in the City". Your opinion may vary from mine, especially with the "Croissant D'or".

I hate giving out negative comments and am of a honest nature but will BITE you if you should question my opinion on "Croissant D'or" and that is why I stated all the way above that you should try first.

I hope this entry was interesting and helpful. 

Thanks for reading.

These prices stated are from early 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment